Viral Hepatitis Center
Welcome and thank you for choosing the Howard University Viral Hepatitis Center (VHC). The VHC is a referral-based center that provides specialty care services for persons with hepatitis, cirrhosis, and other liver diseases. Our multidisciplinary team approach prioritizes patient-centered care and comprehensive services.
The mission of the center is to reduce the burden of chronic viral hepatitis in Washington, DC and the surrounding areas through high-quality patient-centered care, education, research, and community service.
- To provide state-of-the art, patient-centered healthcare
- To provide integrated models of healthcare
- To provide outstanding training in viral hepatitis clinical management
- To advance knowledge through multidisciplinary research
- To improve public awareness and promote screening
Program and Services
- Screening and diagnosis of viral hepatitis and other liver disorders
- Hepatitis evaluation, management, and treatment
- Liver biopsy and non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis (scarring)
- Cirrhosis management
- Medical Education
- Community service/public awareness, prevention and wellness
- Patient-centered care
- Prompt, courteous, comprehensive services to viral hepatitis patients
- Accessible and available to patients and referring physicians
- Quick turnaround time or appointments
- Efficient clinical evaluations
- Prompt communication of evaluations to referring physicians
- Standard, high-quality patient management and best practices based on available evidence
- Maximize utilization of nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, and physician expertise
- Regional leader in patient care, research, and education
Dedication to Research
The center is committed to conducting investigator-initiated clinical and translational research that focuses on racial disparities in liver diseases and antiviral treatment responses in patients with chronic hepatitis C infections.
In closing, we trust that you will find hope, health, and recovery at the Howard University Viral Hepatitis Center. We look forward to serving you!
Charles D. Howell, MD, AGAF, FAASLD
Professor and Chair, Department of Medicine, Howard University
Director, Viral Hepatitis Center, Howard University