Division of Nephrology at Howard University Hospital
The Division of Nephrology at Howard University offers services for patients with kidney disorders and diseases. Our board-certified nephrologists specialize in:
- Inpatient and outpatient hemodialysis management
- Peritoneal dialysis management
- Kidney transplant evaluation and management
- Kidney health education
Conditions We Treat
Board-certified nephrologists in the Division of Nephrology at Howard University Hospital treat and manage conditions that affect the kidneys, including:
- Acute kidney injury
- Chronic kidney disease
- Glomerular disorders
- Fluid, electrolyte and acid base disorders
Care for your kidney condition is best managed by a kidney specialist - a nephrologist. Howard University Hospital offers specialty inpatient kidney services, dialysis care and a comprehensive education program.
Nephrology Consult Service
Hospital and emergency department patients with kidney issues are evaluated and cared for by physicians and resident physicians who specialize in nephrology. Our kidney specialists work closely with other Howard University Hospital divisions and departments to integrate patient care.
Our nephrologists also involve patients and their families in decision-making and education to promote understanding of the diagnosis and treatment plans.
Howard University Dialysis Center
The newly renovated Howard University Dialysis Center features the most advanced technology and offers patient comforts to make dialysis as easy as possible:
- The latest dialysis systems ¾ Frensenius 2008K
- Central bicarbonate delivery systems
- Heated massage dialysis chairs to relieve back discomfort
- Individual patient entertainment systems
HOME DIALYSIS CARE
Not every patient is able to come to the Dialysis Center for care. We offer home dialysis services to make sure every patient's needs are met.
LONGSTANDING EXPERIENCE IN DIALYSIS CARE
Howard University Hospital has provided inpatient and outpatient dialysis care for more than 30 years. Our professional staff excels in high-quality, compassionate patient care managed by experienced doctors who specialize in kidney care.
Chronic Kidney Disease Education Program
Advanced chronic kidney disease (CKD) can cause significant stressors to you and your family. We want to help you understand and manage all aspects of your disease, including physical, emotional and financial. We offer a Chronic Kidney Disease Education Program for this purpose.
Our interdisciplinary team meets with you to learn about your needs. We listen to you and respond with a unique plan tailored to you. The goal is to help you follow the treatment plan your doctors have prescribed to slow the progress of your kidney disease and prevent complications. Your family members can be involved in this program as much as you would like them to be.
Your CKD Education Program Team
- Nurse educator - explains your specific disease and condition, the treatment plan your doctor has recommended, the medications you take and why they are important, lifestyle choices and how they affect your health, and steps you can take to be as healthy as possible.
- Kidney dietitian - helps you understand how nutrition affects your condition and recommends dietary choices that fit with your lifestyle.
- Social worker -helps you remain as independent as possible with vocational rehabilitation. Provides counseling about health insurance to make sure you maintain access to the care and medications you need.
If the stage of your disease changes, we adjust your education plan to meet your needs.