Division of Geriatrics at Howard University Hospital
The Division of Geriatrics at Howard University Hospital offers a unique multidisciplinary approach across the continuum of care to conditions related to aging.
Our geriatrics care – and the research we conduct to improve treatment options – has been recognized for excellence:
- Acknowledged by U.S.News & World Report as a superior provider of medical care to seniors in 2012
- Rated as one of the best providers of multidisciplinary care to seniors in the District of Columbia
- Recognized as a worldwide leader in research on cognitive aging and cardiovascular disease, and how the two are related.
Conditions and Services
Specialists in the Division of Geriatrics are dedicated to the highly specialized care and compassion required for senior patients.
We provide specialty geriatric services for many conditions, including:
- Acute confusion and delirium
- Complex medical conditions
- Failure to thrive
- Falls (prevention)
- Memory loss
- Other age-related conditions
- Polypharmacy (use of multiple medications)
- Poor nutrition
Our specialty centers for aging individuals include the Hayes Ward 6 Senior Wellness Center and two nursing homes.
Our affiliated nursing homes are 5-star rated and provide superior residential medical and rehabilitative care to seniors in the District of Columbia, including skilled medical and nursing care, long-term care, short-term rehabilitation, nutrition, recreation and counseling.
These nursing homes are:
- Stoddard Baptist at Washington Center for Aging Services
- Unique residential nursing care at JB Johnson
The Division of Geriatrics at Howard University is involved with numerous research endeavors aimed at identifying effective treatments to reduce the physical, psychological, emotional and economic burden associated with Alzheimer's disease.
Working collaboratively with the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study (ADCS), the Division of Geriatrics established a clinical aging and dementia program at Howard University and conducted many ADCS clinical trials in a predominantly African-American population.
In addition, we are looking into the role of cardiovascular disease on dementia and concurrently investigating the effects of fitness adaptation memory – probing the physiologic, metabolic and molecular pathways mediating fitness effects on cognition and neurodegeneration.
Division of Geriatrics Faculty
Board-certified geriatrics specialists at Howard University and other health care professionals are dedicated to patient-focused care that puts you and your family at the center of everything they do.
Thomas Obisesan, M.D., M.P.H. - Chief
Clinical practice focused on memory loss, Alzheimer's disease, failure to thrive and comprehensive geriatrics assessment.
Dr. Obisesan has specialty training in geriatrics, such as:
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute on Aging (NIH/NIA) supported post-graduate training in clinical translational Science at the University of Maryland
- NIH-supported training on genetics of cardiovascular disease, Jackson Laboratory Bar Harbor Main
- Analysis of neuroimaging data at the MGH/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Harvard
- Oxford Round Table on Successful Aging
Dr. Obisesan has received many recognitions, including:
- 2013: Leadership and Recognition Award from the Alzheimer's Association National Capital Area Chapter
- 2008: Howard University Hospital Medical Staff Faculty Staff Patient Care Award, in recognition of providing outstanding patient care services
- 2006: Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honor Society
- 2005: Research Recognition Award and Keynote Speaker: Alzheimer's Association of the National Capital Area Chapter
- 2005: Service Recognition Award from The National Caucus & Center on Black Aging, Inc.
- 2005: Member of Oxford Round Table Meeting on Successful Aging, Oxford, United Kingdom
Laila Alamgir, M.D.
Clinical practice focused on internal medicine and wound care.
Richard F. Gillum, M.D., M.Sc. - Adjunct Faculty
Clinical practice focused on cardiovascular disease epidemiology.
Oyonumo Ntekim, M.D., Ph.D. - Adjunct Faculty
Clinical practice focused on nutritional science.
Vernon Bond, Ph.D.
Clinical practice focused on exercise physiology.